Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Not in the right field when applying for a librarian position

II obtain my doctorate degree in information management from a prestige university and have three Master's including an ALA accredited MLS. I was very surprised when I was told that I am not in the right field for a librarian position. Here was my conversation with the Academic Dean:

"Oh..., your doctorate degree is not in the field of library science. We are looking for a librarian who has an advanced degree in library science or related field." She added sharply. (I am thinking: Whaaaaat.......... Information Studies not related to the library field)

I was surprised and answered her defensively. "My degree was awarded by the School of Information Studies ... I have over 15 years of library work experience with 8 years of supervisory experience in library settings. I believe that my education and work experience are well-fit to the position I am applying for. "

Then it came humiliating moments of silence. It was awkward. If there was a paper clip dropped, I probably could hear the "ding" sound.

The Dean rose from her chair in a resigned manner. "Oh, I am afraid I have to go for my next meeting. Thank you for coming."

She did not even shake hands with me.  I was thinking... I flew all the way from other state (over 1800 miles!) and our meeting only lasted for... 20minutes??? I just couldn't believe what I experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment