Friday, April 16, 2010

Un livre de ma ville natale! - Book title: "Gweilo"

Gweilo: Memoirs of a Hong Kong Childhood by Marth Booth

I picked up this book at the airport on my trip back home in November 2005. The title "Gweilo" is an old term the Hong Kong residents called the White European. I learned this term from a very young age and knew that is NOT a very nice word. As a young child, I was prohibited to mention that word at home or at schools. I am so surprised that someone actually uses the "Gweilo" as the book title. That's how the book caught my attention at the airport bookstore.

Marth Booth was seven years old when he moved from England to Hong Kong in the 1950s. This book gave a glimpse of Hong Kong in the fifties from the eyes of a seven-year old Martin. The charm of this book lies in fact that it is full of colonial and Cantonese culture. Most important the scenarios and experiences in the book closely match the stories I heard from my older brothers and sisters. - well written and genuine.

I would love to listen the author's own narrative story. Unfortunately it is quite impossible because this book was published after Mr Booth passed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment