Saturday, April 10, 2010

Romantic love and life of 徐志摩: Bound Feet & Western Dress: A Memoir

Bound Feet & Western Dress: A Memoir
Written by Pang-Mei Chang
 
In this exquisite memoir, Chang Yu-i, the daughter of a distinguished Chinese family, recreates her life for her American-born grandniece, Pang-Mei, a Harvard student who is conflicted about her identity. Yu-i, born in China in 1900 during the Boxer Rebellion, tells the story of her tumultuous life: her arranged marriage to a famous poet, Xu Zhimo 徐志摩.

Here is my "book review":
"I learned about what it was like to be born a woman in China at the turn of the twentieth century when I was at high school. However, this book provides much in-depth information about the old Chinese customs-especially the role of Chinese women at the turn of the century. This book is filled with conflicts of traditional Chinese values vs. Western values. I admire Chang Yuyi's courage to tell her own story to her great-niece, Pang-Mei who took the time to write the story. Hsu Chi-Mo (Yu-i's ex-husband) was one of my famous writers since I was at junior high school. I read all poems, collected works, letters, essays, and diaries, etc. I was so fond of his romance with Luk Siu-Man. I learned that he had a "trouble marriage," however, it is the first time I am able to read about the other side of his life through his ex-wife, Chang Yu-i. Through this book Yu-I unveiled the "dark-side" of a famous scholar to the whole world. It is a great book. I enjoyed it very much. "

No comments:

Post a Comment