Thursday, May 20, 2010

This is a book about BOOKS

We have seen so many newspapers and publishers offer electronic versions for their readers. Many libraries and librarians welcome this radical change because the limited space. Most people believe that the print era will be gone in no time. .. The problem is that there are so many book lovers, including myself. I love books. I love to read. I love to hold my book with my own hands while I am reading. I just cannot picture myself sitting in front of my computer and read directly from the screen.

Written by Robert Danton, The Case for Book, explores the print books versus the coming digital revolution. This does not give you “pros and cons” opinions of e-books and books. Instead, it provides the long history of book and how books have survived in nowadays digital era. The contents of the book have been carefully arranged. The title of this book is The Case for Book: Past, Present, and Future. I expect to read the in this order - the history of the book, the past, present and then the future. But as soon as I open the book, I found that the chapters have been intentionally arranged “backward.” It starts from "Chapter 1 Google and the Future of Books” and ends with "Chapter 11 What Is the History of Books?” - it's amazing.

The essays are very enjoyable. It ertainly proves that “e-book is “a supplement to, not a substitute for [books]”!

All book lovers should read this book. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment