Sunday, May 2, 2010

It is MAY!!!! - Stressful graduate students wandering at the library.

The Spring semeter will be over in two weeks.  - The weather is so nice outside but so many students come in the library with a stressful look on their faces. They are preparing finals and term papers. Yesterday (Saturday) a graduate student approached the Refernce Desk and said, "I am a graduate student at the Social Welfare Department. It is my second semester but I haven't used the library. I need to submit my term paper on Monday... I do not know how and where to look for information." Oh boy, again, again, and again. Yes graduate school can be very stressful, especially when you DO NOT have a study plan! It is not easy to assist a student to do research in such a short time period - most non-reference books probably are checked out by other students who is working on similar topic. The only hope for the "last minutes" student is the electronic resources and e-journals. I love to help student for their research but NOT happy to be in such a hurry! - I do hope that the graduate school will teach the new coming graduate students a short course on "time management" before they start their classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment