Friday, May 14, 2010

Book: Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken.

I don't have to look at the book cover and instantly knew that Louise is a White Leghorn chicken - bright red comb with snow white feather. Why? I know so well because I have one of those kinds of chicken! Leghorns love to "escape" from the coop and explore the world! My pet chicken "Pumpkin" does that ALL THE TIME. She longs for adventure. She always flys over the fence and "escapes;" and she runs FAST - but when you call out loud "Pumpkin!", she will come out from "nowhere!" 

Having read Kate Dicamillo's books, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane and The Magician's Elephant, I knew my heart that Louis, The Adventures of a Chicken is another excellent book. I don't have to flip the pages to find out it is a delighted book. Great illustrations and humorous stories. Honestly I picked up this book simply because I have a pet chicken of my own. The title caught my attention immediately! In this book Louise's has lots of excitement - captured by hungry pirates, survived from a sinking ship, "accidentally" joined the circus, caged with other chickens ... eventually be home in her comfortable coop. - you just cannot put down the book. Readers always wonder what will be Louise' adventure?

Remember: "You don't have to be a child to ENJOY THIS BOOK!"

1 comment:

  1. I had to order this book. . .for my grandchildren But I had it delivered to my house so I could read it first!

    ReplyDelete