Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ten years ago in September..

Where was I on that particular day?

I said goodbye to my father and went to work as usual that beautiful Tuesday morning. Around 9 a.m (Kansas time), one of my colleagues rushed in (she was late) and yelled, "We were being attacked!" I was at the front desk. The library just opened the door for public. Soon, I heard people talkking, talking, and talking ... withou knowing what happened. It's unusual scenc at the library. I knew something BIG happened, but I dared to ask - I just started my new job at the public library two weeks ago.

The library big TV was turned by someone. We all watched and/or listened to the news and witnessed the twin tower building collapsed in New York city. We were silent and confused. Many of us tried to be "normal" and performed our duties as usual. But there was one thing on my mind - I needed to call home. My 87-year old father was alone at home.

When I arrived home that evening, my father was sitting on the rocking chair quietly. At that moment I knew that he wanted to go back HOME. He always felt that he was an "outsider"of this country. The attacked on September 11,was a personal feeling, like the japanese American had when the Pearl Harbor was attacked 60 years ago.

It seemed that New York City was far away from Kansas, but we all have the same amount of disbeliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment