Thursday, September 15, 2011

Leaving librarianship? Being pushed out of the library world?

I chatted with one of my colleagues the other day. She told me that some of her friends were librarian; yet due to the current economy situation, they were laid off and unable to land a library job. Thus they were "forced" in some ways to take on whatever jobs they got - full-time clerical position or any positions at the university.  

Two years ago, two full-time library support staff in my department were "let go" - they were laid off. Recently the university library was "examined" and assessed by an "outside" company. The report indicated that the library is over-staffed. It seems that the second wave of laid off will arrive soon - you can imagine how low the morale at the library.

I am afraid that someday I might be forced to leave my beloved librarianship....

No comments:

Post a Comment