Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lost Identity in OCLC's Worldcat

When the OCLC/LC converted the Pinyin system to catalog Chinese mateirals, there are so many problems. I consider myself as "one of the Chinese authors who lost her identity" for this conversion.

Chinese transliterated their Chinese names in English according to the sound of their individual dialect. The problem is that the multiplicity of dialects spoken by the Chinese in different regions caused different romanized forms of names. Some of the Chinese authors "lost their identities" if they insisted to maintain their originality of romanization their names. And they won't be able to find their own publications if they do not use the Pinyin romanized format to search the OCLC's Worldcat. - I am one of those who lost identitiy in the OCLC records. I did not notice that I am listed as the co-author with one of my professors. The book was published 24 years ago. It is simply because my name is romanized in Pinyin. Oh boy! It took me 24 long years to find out the book is existed. My name is not the romanized in the way on my birth certificate.

Problems in Cataloging Chinese Names
http://www.lib.niu.edu/2000/il0004251.html

No comments:

Post a Comment