Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Librarian on the "Travel Trail"

Visiting libraries is the major event on my travel plans. It is great to know that there are "two type" of keyboards at the libraries over the world: one is called 'American keyboard" one is "European keyboard."

Last year when I was in Belgium Katholieke Universiteit, cataloging rare books. The very first thing I noticed was that the keyboard was very different - I made many mistakes. The arrangement of the letters is not the same as the one I am familiar, such as the "M" is not on the third row, instead it is on the first row. So are other letters.

Then this summer I visited Bibliotheque de Ile des Soeurs and Bibliotheque d'Laval. The keyboard again "hit" me immediately.

Keyboard is a funny thing. It reflects the different cultures in its own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment