Thursday, August 12, 2010

"I am NOT in Kansas anymore."

The Wizard of Oz (film) was first screen today 71 years ago! - 1939! As a Midwesterner, I have watched the film so many many times and I still love it! I particularly love the lines Dorothy said, "I have a feeling that I am not in Kansas anymore," "No place like home." - When I feel "displaced, I always remember that line.

This American fantasy film was based on a children novel written by L. Frank Baum (1856-1919). Oz is an imgainery place where Dorothy and her dog were transported by a cyclone. The adventure story is "similar" to Alice in Wonderland. The Wizard of Oz came out when America was facing the failure economic and social arrangements. This magical movie certainly gave people some degrees of “getting out of the reality” and has a moment of living in an imaginery world. Most important it also provided "hopes."

I am the person who always prefers reading the book rather than watching a movie. Books generally are better than movies when depicting stories. But this movie is exceptional well done.

The only thing I always wonder ...Was The Wizard of Oz the first color film?

No comments:

Post a Comment