Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Here Comes the Bookmobile!

Yesterday I heard the NPR on my way back home after work. I heard the author of Ever Is a Long Time: A Journey into Mississippi's Dark Past A Memoir, W. Ralph Eubank talked about his boyhood down in Mississippi. He described how he escaped the summer heat in a library bookmobile. He said:

 "When I feel the summer heat steaming from the pavement, my childhood memories of the bookmobile provide a cooling sensation to my spirit. This feeling came back last summer on a visit to Chicago when I happened upon a parade of bookmobiles of various ages. There it was: an old Ford grille with big, round headlights that was a dead ringer for the bookmobile that stopped at my house as a child."

"All of a sudden, I was transported into my boyhood self, waiting in the heat of my front porch for the Pine Forest Regional Library bookmobile to arrive at my house in rural Mississippi."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128362133

We all know that libraies has been shaped so many young lives in decades; but it is the first time I heard someone "acknowledged" the amazing work of a library bookmobile. - Waht a wonderful story to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment