Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Revisited: The Emperor's Club

I was sleeplessly last night. I turned on the TV and found this inspirational movie, The Emperor's Club (2002). It has been nine years since I watched this movie.

This is a teacher-student relationship story. A passionate and classic studies teacher, William Hundert found his world was shaking when a new student came to his class - a Senate's son Sedgewick Bell. Sedgewick is a typical American teen - he fooled around and paid no attention in the classroom when he first arrived. Mr Hundert made an appointment to meet Sedgewicks' father.... The meeting did not go as Mr Hundert expected. When Mr Hundert addressed the behavioral problem of Sedgewick, and stated that he has an intention to "mode" Sedgewick. Mr Bell instantly replied, "you are not going to mode my son. Your  job is to teach..."

I found that's a very compelling statement - Teacher's job is NOT to mode student but to teach students.

No comments:

Post a Comment