Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Tiger in the Kitchen

Cheryl Lu-Tien, A Tiger in the Kitchen: A memoir of Food and Family was just released a couple months ago, February 2011. I have to admit that I was "caught" by the book title. I just finished Amy Chua's Battle Hymm of the Tiger Mom. I thought it is a similar" book by nature (maybe...). I also assume that it is a memoir with recipes at the end of each chapters - like Kristin Espinasse's, Words in a French Life. I was so wrong. - Mmm ... I should "judge" a book by its title!

From the first few pages, I learned why the author, Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan uses "tiger" as part of her book title. She was born in the year of tiger. And, she is a Singaporean. Singapore is also known as "Asian Tiger City" or "Lion City"  獅城. It is such a "clever" title. I love it!

Many young women in Asia countries consider cooking as a wifely skills. Most of them have no interests in learning the family traditional cooking. Cheryl Tan is no exception. Then  in her 30s, she had an opportunity to return to her homeland, Sinagpore where she learned her culture through the family traditional cooking. Suddenly she had a culinary homesickness attack!  - This is a book of her personal journey how she rediscovererd her own culture via the family traditional cuisine.

I am not a good cook, but I enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment