Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Statistics made easy!

While graduate students are struggling with numbers and symbols for their research project, I was told by my colleagues that there are statistics software out there. All you need is to put down your number and the program will calculate for you.

I guess I am getting too old ... I remember that we were not allowed to use calculator in middle and high schools!! Well time passed and things changed.

Anyway, the most popular statistic computer programs are SSPS, Excel - at our library  we even has a book to guide you how to use Excel for your data. I wonder why our students do not manually calculate their results.

But I still believe that students should know the formulas of t-test, p-value, and the concepts of standard deviation, population means, etc. Do you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment