Monday, November 15, 2010

Martin Luther King Jr. Public Library in Washington DC

The Martin Luther King Jr. Public Library is a very popular library. Thus I visited the library yesterday. First I found a very long line of people waiting in front of the main entranace. Then I found out that it is very common that the line is formed 15 minutes before the library open. Like many public libraries in the big cities, there are many (apparently) homeless people outside the library. As soon as the door opened, everyone marched in. I utilized one of the 15 minutes terminals to check my email message. I heard constantly that patrons were cussing and using "bad langauges" such the "F.." word just because the terminals are not fast enough for them. They literally yelled to the Information Desk staff. I felt so sorry for the library staff.

As a librarian, those behavior surely is NOT acceptable. I was so surprised that the Martin Luther Public Library staff allow its patrons to have those disturbance behavior at the library. I certainly cannot bear any longer and I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment