Sunday, June 5, 2011

Penpal in the digital age

One of my colleagues chatted with me the other day after work. We talked about our penpals when we were young.  - Oh well we all miss the good old days, don't we?

When I was young, I had a few penpal all over the world. It's not only because I wanted to see friendship around the globe, it's the way to receive foreign stamps. I was a stamp collector since I was a third grade pupil. With the 21st century technology, Internet and email are replacing mails. I lost not only the foreign stamps, but also the hand-written letters.  Oh well, with all the social network, facebook, twitter, blogs... the nature of "penpal" is still there, but just in a very different and varied formats. Am I embracing the new technology? Yes in a way I am. The communication is much fast. Imagine that you receive a letter within seven days. If you reply immediately, it takes another seven days to reach the other side of the globe. The message might be "outdated" when it reach the other side of the world. Having said that, I do miss the joyce of seeing a lteer in my mailbox. I also miss the foreign stamps I used to have.

Penpal is a way to learn and understand other cultures. Something you learn outside the textbook or encyclopedia. Most importantly it is the real people's life sharing. I still love to be a penpal but just liss the handwritten letter and the foreign stamps.

I am wondering whether there are still stamps collectors "out there"?

No comments:

Post a Comment