Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Book: The Undaunted Women of Nanking

It is a wartime diaries of Minnie Vautrin and Tsen, Shui-fang. It is also the first time for the Tsen's diary translated in English - 84 day diaries about the Nanking Massacre. The entries of Vautrin and Tsen's diaries are displayed side-by-side from December 8, 1937 to March 1, 1938. It gives the reader a better understanding of what really happened during the Japanese soldiers raped, looted, and destroyed the city of Nanking.

Vautrin was doing missionary work in Nanking during the wartime; Tsen was a professional nurse who served at the Qinling College when the Japanese invaded Nanking.

I only finished the first twenty pages and my heart just dropped. I was speechless. I can feel the fear and sadness of Vautrin and Tsen from from the words, and incomplete sentences ... It took me another day to pick up the book again.

No comments:

Post a Comment