Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Most Beautiful Libraries in the World

When I travel and visit a new town, the first place you will find me is the public library or the university libraries. Last summer when I was in Oxford, I was unable to visit the famous Bodleian Library because it was SUNDAY! The library was closed. I was very disappointed because I was scheduled to leave England the next day. So I missed the chance. This beautiful photographed book, The Most Beautiful Libraries in the World (photographed by Guillaume de Lauber and written by Jacques Bosser) absolutely provides an easy way to visit the libraries that we cannot visit in person or we “missed” the chance to visit. I know it is not the same when you can go there and walk around the libraries. But at least you can “picture” the libraries with colorful photos. And you won’t see the “unorganized shelves” and you won’t see the old and fragile chairs and tables at some of the historic libraries which are photographed perfectly in the book.

Yesterday someone returned this book at the library, I couldn’t help but recheck out this book again. I have read this book when it was published in 2003. That is before I went to Europe. It is very different after you physically visited the libraries and re-read the book, especially the images. - I picture myself walking outside the library and enjoying the amazing architectural building.

No comments:

Post a Comment