Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Do-It-Yourself Libraries

I received the new issue of Library Journal this afternoon. The cover caught my attention immediately: Do-It-Yourself Libraries. It is true that most public libraries have self-service stations. It is cost-effective and efficient yet lack of the human interaction. Well, it is NOT my mom's library anymore. The article states, “Libraries say, self-service works” and “Librarians are overwhelmingly happy.” REALLY? The author did not ask me.

I have no objections that library patrons check out library materials on their own or pay their fines. But for the library reserved items, I would like the Reserve Shelf behind the Circulation Desk – privacy issue. When we allow library patrons to pick up their holds by their last names, we voluntarily expose the individual reading interests to the third party.

No comments:

Post a Comment