Tuesday, March 14, 2017

When the college is closing... so is the library

Our college is closing in a few months. With a heavy heart, I start the process of contacting the community and other libraries to take in our library materials. It is very hard to keep your chin up and it gets harder and harder as the days go by.

Everyone in the college is emotional distressed. I always have a positive attitudes for my job in the past years. My second thought is... well, how many librarians have the work experience to closing down the library in a "positive" ways? Not too many and I am going to be one of those.

In fact it is the second time in the two years that I witnessed library being closed. First in January 2015, the University of Kansas Regents Center Library was closed. None of the library staff saw that's coming. I had been there since 2003 and it was rare to see any library staff left. So we had been together for 12 years. When the library closed, most of my colleagues took early retirements. But for me, unfortunately... I am too young to retire but too old to start over.

I thought I was lucky to land a job in a month after KU Regents Center Library closed. Then the college announced its closing. I must be a cursed librarian. But I am not going down without "a fight" and I determined that I started my job in a good standing and I am going to end in a positive spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment