Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The philosophy of 仕方がない

I read a book review of Kimi Cunningham's Silver lake dust: One family’s story of America’s Japanese Internment a couple weeks ago and requested the book from the local library. I got the book last night. In spite of my busy schedule, I started reading it as soon as I returned from the library. I finished the book just one evening!

It is a book that you just cannot put it down. It is a memoir of the author's grandmother who lived in Heart Mountain Japanese Internment Camp during the WWII. As she promised her grandmother, the author did not unveil her grandmother's name, simply addressed her as Obaasan (grandma in Japanese). The conversation between the author, Kimi and her grandmother just keeps holding my interests.

It is a personal memoir, yet it is also a book that offers a better understanding of the Japanese shikata ga nai 仕方がない philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment