Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A very interesting research topic

I searched the dissertation databases and found that one of the popular research topics in Europe is the 'portrayal of librarians in the newspapers.'  - I haven't seen that in the North America academia yet. That might be because it is a historical research which unfortunately considered NOT an academic research topic particularly in Canada. I have been told by one of the Professors at McGill that descriptive or historical research is NOT an appropriate research topic for a PhD dissertation. He advised that PhD students not conduct any research with that research methodology. I wonder why .... shouldn't we judge an academic research in that way? I have seen PhD dissertations of the Japanese camps' libraries, the library services during the colonial era... those are all very valuable and good research topics.

I have discussed this with professors from different institutions. Most of them disagree with the McGill professor. I guess it depends who you are talking to...

No comments:

Post a Comment