Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Something you cannot change ...

I am involving in the Chronicling America Project at the Library of Congress. While I am searching newspaper for particular events from 1860 to 1922, I found there's so many interesting news. It is amazing that even the Far East historical stories can be found in these American newspapers!

For instance, the news about the arrival of the Qing last emperor who visited the United States. One of the newspapers even published the entire Emperor's "thank you note" on the front page. The note was written in traditional Chinese. I was astonished to find out that it was printed "upside side down"!!! I am guessing that during the early 19th century, there were not too many Sinologists in the US. Unfortunately it is one of those things that you cannot change...

No comments:

Post a Comment